Natural Treatments For Anxiety and Depression
There are many types of treatments, but let’s start with five natural treatment options. Finding the best one for your own anxiety and depression begins with trial and error. You have to try a few to find the one you receive the most benefit from. What works for someone else may not work for you.
5 Natural Anxiety and Depression Treatments
I really find it disheartening when I hear someone say, “that doesn’t work”. It may not have worked for them…but that shouldn’t stop anyone from giving up hope on finding something that does! Here are a few to try…
1. Reduce Anxiety and Stress with Aromatherapy – One very simple, therapeutic treatment you can try is aromatherapy. The use of certain herbal essences can greatly affect your mental and emotional wellbeing, enabling you to find calm.
Lavender oil has been used for finding anxiety and stress relief for years. It is a great scent to start with because it can reduce stress and fatigue, which are two of the significant causes of anxiety and depression.
Avoiding stressful situations can be difficult. Too many people today are subjected to high levels of stress due to their lifestyle commitments. Despite having to do what is necessary in your day, you don’t have to succumb to the stress and pressure, especially at the expense of your own health.
2. Yoga and Meditation – Deep Breathing Techniques - Another effective treatment for anxiety and depression is yoga or meditation for it’s deep breathing benefits.
The deep breathing techniques that are used in these activities are very helpful for releasing the tension that has built up. Many people use this anxiety relief technique to stop panic attacks. Deep breathing of any kind can make you relax and de-stress. This is why smokers inhale deeply when they are stressed…it isn’t just the nicotine that is calming.
3. Positive Thinking – Changing your way of thinking can also be a valuable treatment for anxiety and depression.
Instead of focusing on the negative things that may be happening to you or around you, it is better to look at the positive side and be grateful for whatever good comes your way. Many people feel there is no positive in life…but there is! Take a look around you, or take the time to ‘smell the roses’.
4. Diet and Exercise – Eating the right foods to reduce anxiety and lift your moods is important. Take a look at your diet. Is it filled with sugary delights, fatty fast foods and caffeine? If so…perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate.
What about exercise? Do you exercise and wear down all that excess adrenaline? A good walk can do wonders to your stress and anxiety levels.
5. Natural Herbal Supplements – If you would prefer to use natural supplements, there are natural anxiety and depression supplements available. They help increase your dopamine and serotonin levels, which are your feel-good hormones, plus they balance your cortisol levels which are your ‘fat-hormones’.
So here you have five examples of natural treatments for anxiety and depression. I haven’t even mentioned behavioral therapy and family support. The choices are there, now it is up to you to take control and start learning how to manage your own anxieties.
Of course, there are also prescription medications that many people have to and do use…but these medications are notorious for producing negative side effects.
If the above natural treatments do not work and you do have to resort to medications, ask your doctor to describe the side effects of prescription medications and ask if there are alternative options for you too.